Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Little Love Story

A few weeks ago B and I while were out with old and new friends we started to tell "our love story" to a new friend. If B knew I was typing this right now he would groan (I like the story more than he does...). Well, after reading the Building Cathedrals blog, I thought that today, Valentine's Day, would be an appropriate day to retell our story. So, here goes...

It is totally appropriate that our journeys together started in a geography class, physical geography no less. I was a sophomore and he was a junior. We (serendipitously) both chose to take the class at the University of St. Thomas that semester, even though he was a student at Hamline and I was at St. Kate's. We both drove to the class, which meant that sometimes we would walk to our cars together (I later learned that he would park his car close to mine so that we could walk together). Being outsiders, we also ended up sitting near to each other. Well, about 2/3 of the way through the semester he decided (after much debate) that I would say yes if he asked me on a date. Unfortunately, he was wrong. The remainder of the semester was awkward (I actually remember speed walking out of class to avoid walking to our cars together), summer came, but I couldn't shake the nagging guilt that I felt about turning him down.

Fast forward through the fall semester (and one or two classes together) and his trip to Brazil over January of 2001 (during which he met a lady that fully took his mind off of me - not that he was really still thinking of me). The man returned to snowy white Minnesota with a killer tan, new haircut, new glasses, and a sexy confidence that I hadn't noticed before. I took note... but didn't make my move until the end of the semester. We were assigned a final project that would involve plants (which he studied in Brazil) and maps (my specialty). I literally stood up in the middle of class and said "you're my partner"... an A+, a few late nights in the lab, and the rest is history.

Our Wedding Day

Since that fateful day in Physical Geography class, we have fallen in love on the shores of Lake Lougee, committed our hearts and lives to each other, and made a home together. We have learned that our journey will not always be smooth sailing, but that just makes it more interesting!

Still Smiling on a Recent Trip to CA

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're enjoying our adventure and hope you are, too! Thank you for leaving comment (it makes our day).