Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Living Locally


My job used to be all about living "local". B and I still take great strides to shop, eat, and live locally, and today we took a big stride to being even more local. Our friends Molly and Sara split a share at a local CSA last year. Today, Molly encouraged our friend Ann and me to join in, too. So, after a bit of a discussion with B about the benefits ($300 for 23 weeks of fresh, pesticide-free fruits and veggies), we were 'in'.

We didn't have to wait long to capitalize on the investment, as today was the sneak preview day for the farm. So, Ann, Molly, and I headed out to the George Jones Farm to pick up the first-of-the-season veggies. What an experience! I have to say that it feel very comforting (I did grow up on a farm, after all) and a bit WASPy at the same time. The saving grace is that, without a yard, B and I are unable to produce any of our own produce (and I would likely kill most of it, anyway), so this is a way to get REALLY fresh food each week. Also, if we fail to pick up our share (which is unlikely, since we split it), the food goes to a needy family.

So, now our fridge is full of freshly washed lettuce, salad greens, beet greens, garlic greens, bok choy, spearmint, and six tasty eggs. I am definitely a happy girl! And I thought today was going to be boring...

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy I got a shout-out on your blog.. I am game for continuing with the eating local/attempting to make your own food theme... we should learn how to can fruits and veggies this summer too!

    ReplyDelete

We're enjoying our adventure and hope you are, too! Thank you for leaving comment (it makes our day).